Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

9405 Bormet Drive, Suite 7, Mokena, IL 60448

Mokena | 815-727-6144

DuPage County | 630-852-9700   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Contact Us

Will County Divorce Attorneys for Emergency Family Law Situations

Oak Forest family law emergency injunction attorney

Lawyers Assisting With Cases Involving Domestic Violence in Mokena and Orland Park

The breakup of a relationship can be traumatic even in the best of circumstances, but in cases when a person has been the victim of domestic abuse or fears for their safety, they may not know where to turn. Those who wish to escape an abusive relationship and get a divorce should be sure to understand their rights and their options for obtaining the protection they need.

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., our lawyers have more than 95 years of combined experience in family law, and we have represented clients in a wide variety of high conflict divorce cases. We can provide you with the legal help you need in an emergency situation, ensuring that your family is safe and that you will have the resources you need.

Legal Options in Emergency Divorce Cases

A spouse who is the victim of domestic violence or domestic abuse may believe that they do not have any options for leaving their marriage. In many cases, abusers will force their victims to rely on them both emotionally and financially, and they will try to maintain this control by cutting off all other means of support. A victim may stay in an abusive situation because they do not think they will be able to support themselves and their children, and they may have been conditioned to believe that nobody else will care about them.

If you or your children are in danger, your first step toward escaping an abusive relationship should be to obtain an order of protection. This will prevent your spouse from committing any further acts of abuse, and they will be required to refrain from contacting you or your children until a hearing can be held to determine what protections are necessary going forward.

Once you have received the immediate protection you need, you may wish to file for divorce and begin the process of ending your marriage. In your divorce petition, you can request temporary relief regarding how certain issues will be handled during your divorce case. This relief may include requests for your spouse to pay child support or spousal maintenance, which will ensure that you are able to provide for your family's needs. You can also ask for the court to make decisions about how child custody will be handled while your divorce is pending, and if you believe that your children are in danger, you may request that your ex-spouse's parenting time be restricted or supervised.

In addition to cases involving domestic violence, there are other situations in which emergency action may be necessary, including:

  • Child abduction - During divorce, parents are not allowed to take their children out of the state or out of the country without the other parent's permission. Immediate legal action should be taken if a parent refuses to allow the other parent access to a child.
  • Mental illness or substance abuse - Parents should understand their legal options if they believe their children are at risk when in the care of the other parent.
  • Stalking or harassment - An order of protection may also be necessary if an ex-spouse constantly sends unwanted messages, refuses to leave when asked, or commits other harassing behavior.

Contact a New Lenox Order of Protection Attorney

You and your children deserve to live in a safe environment. If you want to divorce an abusive spouse or escape a dangerous situation, our attorneys can provide you with the legal help you need. Contact our office today at 815-727-6144 to arrange your free consultation. We serve clients in Tinley Park, Orland Park, Orland Hills, Homer Glen, Oak Forest, Lockport, and Joliet.

  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top