Close Search

Website Search

Wakenight & Associates, P.C.

9405 Bormet Drive, Suite 7, Mokena, IL 60448

Mokena | 815-727-6144

DuPage County | 630-852-9700   Oak Park | 708-848-3159

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Contact Us

Mokena Divorce MSA Modification Lawyer

Oak Forest divorce decree enforcement attorney

Attorneys for Changing or Enforcing Divorce Orders in New Lenox and Will County

Once your divorce has been completed, you may feel like you have survived an avalanche of legal concerns, and you are likely ready to move on from this difficult process and begin your life as a newly single individual. However, issues related to your divorce may arise in the future, and if you need to make changes to your divorce decree or ensure that your ex-spouse meets their requirements, you should work with an experienced attorney.

At Wakenight & Associates, P.C., our lawyers have a combined total of more than 95 years of family law experience. When circumstances occur that require you to revisit your divorce, we can help you understand your options for modifying or enforcing your divorce decree or judgment.

Post-Divorce Modifications

The completion of your divorce provides you with a chance to make a new start in your life, and in the years to come, you may experience major changes, such as beginning a new job, starting a new relationship, pursuing educational opportunities, or moving to a new home. When these changes affect how certain matters between you and your ex-spouse are handled, either of you may petition the court to modify your divorce decree.

Typically, a divorce decree can only be modified if one of the ex-spouses has had a "significant change in circumstances." In these cases, the terms of a decree that may need to be modified include:

  • Child custody - Children's changing needs may warrant adjustments to the parenting time they spend with each parent. The allocation of parental responsibility may also need to be updated if circumstances such as disability or mental health or substance abuse issues affect a parent's ability to make decisions for their children. A parenting plan may also need to be modified if a parent relocates to a new home.
  • Child support - The loss of a job or a decrease in the amount of income earned can affect a parent's ability to pay child support, and a parent may seek to reduce the amount owed in these cases. A parent who receives child support may also wish to adjust payments if they learn that their former partner has experienced an increase in income.
  • Spousal maintenance - Alimony payments can be affected if either ex-spouse experiences a change in the income they earn, or if either party gets remarried.

Divorce Decree Enforcement

A divorce decree or judgment is a court order, which means that both spouses are required by law to follow its terms. Violation of a court order can have serious consequences, including being held in contempt of court, which can result in criminal charges and jail time. If your ex-spouse refuses to follow the terms of your parenting agreement, does not relinquish property granted to you in the divorce settlement, or fails to meet their child support or spousal support obligations, our attorneys can help you understand your best options for compelling them to meet their legal requirements.

Contact an Orland Park Family Law Attorney

After your divorce, you are likely ready to be done with the legal process, but if you have experienced changes to your life, or if your ex does not follow through on what they are required to do, you may need to take legal action. To learn about your options in these cases, contact our office at 815-727-6144 and arrange your free consultation. We assist with divorce order modification and enforcement in Mokena, New Lenox, Frankfort, Tinley Park, Orland Hills, Homer Glen, Joliet, Oak Forest, Lockport, and Will County.

  • Elite Lawyer
  • American Bar Association
  • Better Business Association
  • Illinois State Bar Association
  • West Suburban Bar Association
  • Northwest Suburban Bar Association
  • Will County Bar Association
  • DuPage County Bar Association
  • Lake County Bar Association
  • Kane County Bar Association




Contact Us

Contact Us



Back to Top